Bill C-27: An Attack on Pensions
Ottawa – 1 March 2017. The Ottawa Committee for Pension Security (OCPS) recently co-hosted a panel discussion with the Congress of Union Retirees about Bill C-27, a Bill that will … Watch video »
Ottawa – 1 March 2017.
The Ottawa Committee for Pension Security (OCPS) recently co-hosted a panel discussion with the Congress of Union Retirees about Bill C-27, a Bill that will give employers the tools they need to dump their defined benefit pension plan guaranteed promises, including the benefits already earned and paid for by active workers and retirees. Please take the time to listen to the highlights of the discussion to learn what a target benefit pension plan is, why this Bill threatens existing defined benefit plans, the problems with the consent mechanism and the threat this Bill is to retirees. Trudeau is breaking his promise and picking up on a proposal Harper backed away from. We need to hold the Liberals accountable on Bill C-27.
- Mark Jansen: Pension Researcher, Canadian Union of Public Employees (CUPE).
- Mike Palecek: President, Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW).
- “Bill C-27 shows the need for a Solidarity Coalition”
- “Canada’s unions call anti-pension bill C-27 a betrayal”
- “Online actions call on Minister Morneau to abandon Bill C-27”
- For more information about C-27, see Canadian Association of Professional Employees
- CUPW president Mike Palecek speaking at rally (May 5) in front of PMO