Free Palestine: Reportback from the World Social Forum
In the aftermath of apartheid Israel’s most recent attack on the people of Gaza, over 3000 delegates travelled to Porto Alegre, Brazil to participate in the World Social Forum – … Watch video »
In the aftermath of apartheid Israel’s most recent attack on the people of Gaza, over 3000 delegates travelled to Porto Alegre, Brazil to participate in the World Social Forum – Free Palestine. From November 28 to December 1, 2012 this historic gathering brought together Palestinians and Palestine solidarity activists from more than 35 countries to discuss, educate, strategize, mobilize and expand networks across organizations and global campaigns. A popular theme of the forum was building joint strategies for advancing the Palestinian-led movement for Boycott Divestment and Sanctions (BDS). BDS was also a primary focus for delegates from across Canada, all of whom are eager to share news of connections made, information gathered and insights gained through participation at this forum.
Moderated by Debra Cooke. Presentations by:
- John Greyson, short video-clip from one of the workshops – “No to Israeli Pinkwashing.”
- Monira Kitmitto, Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid, Toronto
- Yafa Jarrar, Students Against Israeli Apartheid, Carleton
- Aziz Choudry and Jill Hanley, editors of Organize!: Building from the Local for Global Justice
- Mostafa Henaway, contributor to the book Organize!
- Iliam Burbano, Labour for Palestine, Toronto
- Natalie Kouri-Towe, Queers Against Israeli Apartheid, www.pinkwatchingisrael.com.
- Sue Goldstein, International Jewish Anti-Zionist Network
- Mary-Jo Nadeau, Faculty for Palestine
Recorded in Toronto, 11 January 2013.