Stop The Attacks On Our Schools!
Ontario’s provincial government has announced sweeping cuts to funding for public education. People across the province are mobilizing to stop the attacks on our schools.
The Socialist Project’s Action Keele campaign recently hosted a community meeting that brought together students, teachers, parents, and school support staff to talk about how we might organize a response to the cuts. This Oats episode is based on the discussion that took place at that meeting. It features comments that were made at the meeting by the following people:
- Jessica Polley (high school teacher in the Toronto District School Board)
- Jonah Gindin (organizer with the West End Parents for Public Education)
- Helen Victoros (executive member of the Elementary Teachers of Toronto)
- Amina Vance (organizer with Students Say No)
- John Weatherup (president of CUPE 4400)
Article mentioned in the episode:
– Greg Albo, “Democratic Citizenship and the Future of Public Management,” in G. Albo, D. Langille and L. Panitch, eds., A Different Kind of State? Popular Power and Democratic Administration (Toronto: Oxford University Press 1993).
If you’re looking to get involved in the struggle against the cuts, you might be interested in joining the school “walk-ins” planned for June 6th. More information available here: linktr.ee/schoolwalkins.
Support Oats for Breakfast on Patreon: patreon.com/OatsForBreakfast.